I made this dress for my friend’s toddler. Her favorite color is blue, and I knew I wanted to use fabric that wasn’t a typical floral or other “little girl” print.
I bought this pattern (Butterick 3762) a couple of years ago for something specific, and never ended up using it. When preparing for this project I thought I’d go with the sleeveless option, since I figured it would be easier than the sleeves, and the skirt with the contrast band because I didn’t want to be 100% lazy.
It turns out the sleeveless option was not easier. It was really hard to sew the bias tape binding around such a small armhole opening and still have it look good. The neck opening called for a bias tape binding finish as well, but it looked really stretched out when I was done.
So I slept on it and figured I’d be fine with it the next day. Nope. I thought about it all day at work because I’m super cool, and ended up making a self-fabric facing instead. It solved the stretched out look and I’m really glad I took the time to fix it. I actually wish I had just made a facing for the whole interior to begin with since I think it would have made the armholes look better too. But I was not about to re-do those tiny little things.
The part where I was planning on putting in the extra time, the contrast band at the bottom of the skirt, ended up being a mess too. I hadn’t actually bought a contrast fabric because I figured I’d have something at home I could use. Nope again. None of the solid or semi-solid fabrics I had worked at all. I set it aside planning to buy something later, and happened to see it next to this plaid (that was still out since I had just made this skirt). Preppy meets adorable sea creatures. A match made in heaven, I say.