The dress from last week was actually for a set of toddler twins. I cut both of the dresses out at the same time from different patterns without really paying attention to the specifics until I went to sew them. It turns out the pattern for this dress is about 5″ shorter than the one from last week. That’s a big difference when you’re giving two dresses to a set of twins.
This might be my all-time favorite fabric. I love the colors, the pattern, the general whimsy of it. I bought it from Drygoods Designs in downtown Seattle, and probably should have gotten a few more yards.
Skill level: This sewing project would be good for beginning to intermediate sewers.
Time commitment estimate: It took me about 2 hours total, including cutting the pattern and ironing the fabric.
I mentioned in this post, this post and this post that my husband’s aunt gave me a huge bag of patterns she used to sew clothes for herself and her two daughters, and I can’t believe how much use I’ve gotten out of them. I’m the same size she was in the 70’s/80’s, so I have this amazing stash of vintage patterns that just happen to fit me. Some of them are a little too much to wear these days, but really, it’s only a matter of time until these things come back in style.
I hadn’t used any of the baby/children patterns until I made this overall dress last week. It was really easy to make, and in my biased opinion, I think it turned out really cute. I made a couple of changes to what the pattern calls out (details below), but otherwise I would totally recommend this pattern for beginning sewers.